- Initial Business
Chair Troll welcomed everyone.
- Announcement re Minutes General Meeting September 4, 2013
Secretary Lori Steinhauer announced that the 09/04/13 minutes will be forthcoming for approval at the next meeting.
- Treasurer Report , Catherine Stanley
Treasurer Catherine Stanley reported that there is more than $938.00 in treasury.
- New Business
- WCC Election Announcement for 2014 Board
Communications and Outreach Chair Stephen DeBaun presented a plan for the 2014 election (on file with secretary). Art Troll announced a proposed ballot lineup of Art Troll, Catherine Stanley, Hilda Cordova-Ayala, Jackie Macaela Pearce, Jim Rice, Lori Steinhauer, Shayna Metzner, Stephen DeBaun, Suz Montgomery, Theresa Satterfield, and Tomas Luna. It was announced that other nominees could appear on the ballot for 11 board slots. Maria Perez added her name to the nominations. The election will be conducted with a final tally on Nov. 6.
- Rise Above Plastics: Bill Hickman from Surfrider Foundation announced that in November, the Ventura City Council will vote to ban plastic bags and put a 10-cent per bag fee on paper bags. The city would become the 80th municipality in California to do so, following in line with Ojai and Carpinteria, both of which have adopted such a ban.
- Ventura River Water Shed Project: Lauren Cole, VRWSP, announced plans for a Jan. 15 meeting at Bell Arts with dinner and child care and translation to identify community priorities for our watersheds on the Westside. Goals and objectives include ensuring 1. sufficient water supplies, 2. clean water, 3. integrated flood management, 4. healthy ecosystems, 5. access to nature, 6. responsible land and resource management, and 7. coordinated watershed planning. Presentation details on file with WCC. Further information will be forthcoming. For information contact Lauren Cole, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Westside Planning/Revitalization Committee: Lori Steinhauer , Committee Co-chair, and Jeff Lambert, City of Ventura Community Development Director, reported that there will be an October meeting on the 10th at 6:30 at the Bell Arts Factory to discuss the Westside planning: Westside Vision beginning through city review. Looking at how to integrate the WCC's Westside Vision into plan. Also, Lori announced that on October 29 at 6:30pm there will be a meeting for the Housing Authority planned expansion for Westview.
- Kellogg Park: Hilda Cordova-Ayala announced that a walking path around the park is scheduled to open in October/November. Also, she and Morris Wills and others encouraged community support ofthe3-7 p.m. weekly Wednesday Farmers Market at the park to ensure its success.
- The WAY (Westside Avenue Youth): Marcus Van, Donnet Montigue, and Victor Robles talked about the recent Coastal Cleanup and the cigarette butt collection The WAY youths did at the beach, and they are now expanding this anti-tobacco effort into other park areas on neighborhoods and focusing their tobacco awareness and organizational awareness on the Westside youths first and foremost. For information contact email@example.com.
- Patrol Watch, Ventura Police Department Sgt. John Snowling reported a decline in chronic offender issues and vagrancy on the Westside since the cleanup of the river bottom in recent months.
Police-related Questions or Reports? Call VPD.
- General # 805-339-4400
- Sgt. Harbert, 805-339-4429
- Sgt. Fournell, 805-339-4470
- Corporal Corbin, 805-339-4400, x1163
- Corporal Hixon, 805-339, 4400, x1166
- Community Preservation (Code Enforcement), Andrew Stuffler, Chief Building Official with the
City of Ventura, told the group that the city is having a high success rate with a direct mail approach to code enforcement, neighborhood preservation, and neighborhood involvement to address community preservation issues.
- Debris Removal Hotline (trash, debris, etc.) 805-677-3999
- For information contact Jamie Arnold, Senior Preservation Inspector, Code Enforcement, 805-654-7825, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graffiti Hotline805-654-7805.
- West Ventura HEAL Zone: Letty Alvarez from Ventura County Public Health announced that the Food Day event is scheduled for Oct. 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Catholic Charities on Ventura Avenue. Also, the 09/24/13 community meeting with HEAL Zone sponsors - Kaiser Permaenent - resulted in the Kaiser team being impressed with the local HEAL Zone and wanting to study it for success that may be replicated in other HEAL Zone communities.
- Latino Community Updates (VAULT), Hilda Cordova-Ayala
Hilda Cordova Ayala told the group that there is an interest in having parking limits on the day the street cleaner comes through so that the full sweep job can be done rather than limited by cars parked along the street. The WCC will look into drafting a letter of support of this.
- Arts Updates – and Westside First Friday, Sept.6 , Jim Rice
Jim Rice noted that the First Friday studio art walk is this Friday. Also, cultural affairs and mayoral awards and grants have been a boon to Bell Arts and the local arts community.
- Hill Slide/Selby Open Space/Mission Aqueduct, Theresa Satterfield reported that Selby and the hillside group hope to meet in the coming weeks.
- Communications and Outreach, Stephen DeBaun announced that a city council candidates forum is on tap on Oct. 17and is sponsored by CAUSE, WCC, and Bell Arts, and it will be at 6pm at E.P. Foster Elementary School on Ventura Avenue.
- Westside Development Corp, Curtis Cormane
The WDC will be moving to 110 N. Olive St., Unit J, Ventura, 93001, inside the police storefront behind Vons.
- Project Understanding, Jim Duran said they continue to help numerous community residents in crisis and at or near the homeless level
- Habitat for Humanity, Felipe Flores
For information, contact Felipe – email@example.com.. Also, volunteers and Restore contributions welcome.
- Garden Community: Gerardo Gallegos reported that there continues to be new workshops at Westpark and other measures to support healthy food and plan growing. If you are interested, contact Gerardo through his email: Gerardo@restoreventura.com
- Das Williams' Office: No updates.
- Adjournment .